“I know some who are constantly drunk on books as other men are drunk on whiskey.”
Lesson #1 learned from the dashing to the main-net test-net:
Do not overly water your whiskey or your nodes with unreachable nodes, it leads to forking and additional quorums.
Ghostrider is working well in the Dash code base, our single command SmartNode set up is working as well both are very successful additions.
We have had some excellent community contributions from Dk808 with an awesome set up script which greatly simplifies the overall process.
To speak a bit more of watered down whiskey and Ghostnodes:
We have incentives for running nodes on the test-net, this got attacked both intentionally and unintentionally.
One user had gone through the trouble of setting up 168 nodes only to be unable to open the required port as his hosting provider is convinced such high ports are for torrenting only. Another two users with close to as high numbers may have had similar issues or less honorable intentions.
What this did to our net was:
These nodes diluted the parameters set for the LLMNQ to do it’s work of banning unreachable nodes to the point where consensus could not be reached. So PoSe banning did not take place as it should have. We were able to study it and come to the following conclusions:
- This is not an issue on DASH itself as no one is idiotic enough to risk missing a round of payments worth several hundred over a 5-10$ vps.
- It happened because of the overly easy supply of coins on the test-net.
- The ones who should be concerned about this are older coins forking to DASH’s excellent new code base. The high available supply would enable such an attack be it intentional or unintentional.
- This attack/error does however lock up coins, so it is not a disaster for a skilled team.
Where are we going next?
“A future in chains!”
We have later this week a new feature adding fork that will:
- Add time-locked transactions to the repertoire.
- Facilitate full operation of all LLMNQ functionality through the addition of additional quorum sizes for PoSe determination.
- Enabled private and instasend through chain-locks.
- Apply chain-locks to “future” transactions.
There will be incentives for making any and all possible use of these excellent features!
Thank you for taking the time to read this!